Friday 4 May 2007

Rice Planting Experience!


Naomi's House in Mukaihara, Hiroshima Prefecture

4th May 2007

Today marked my first experience planting rice in Japan. Naomi's dad was up early at the crack of dawn before heading out into the rice field with the rice planting machine that can plant three rows at once. In the picture you can see that he has to walk with the machine to guide it in a straight line. Most modern day machines allow you to sit on it and let the machine do it for you planting up to 6 rows at once although I am sure there are bigger machines for bigger fields with bigger prices!


Naomi's dad with the rice planting machine

Most people plant the rice around the beginning of May and harvesting usually takes place in October. The rainy season that kicks in around June provides most of the water that the rice requires to grow.


Naomi's dad at the half way point!

Naomi's dad got the rice planted in around 3 hours (10:30am) followed by a cold beer and snacks before we all got in the field to carry out the rather tedious task of placing extra rice plant sprouts in places where the machine missed. As the rice field is just wet mud knee high I got to wear my own rice planting boots! As I took my first step into the field I almost fell in and after a few close calls I managed to get my balance and mastered how to walk in mud! At times my leg almost slipped out of the boot as I tried to pull my leg out from behind to take another step. We had baskets tied around our waists and with rice sprouts in one hand and bending down looking for spots that needed to be topped up we got on with the task.


Me passing a bunch of rice sprouts to be planted

It was definitely an interesting experience that does require a fair bit of energy but as Naomi said to me, it is rewarding at the dinner table when you know that what you are eating is what the family worked hard to make together not to mention it costing a whole lot less than buying it in the shop.


View from Naomi's house with their rice paddy and the Geibi Line that runs to central Hiroshima 45km away

No comments: